Samsung is looking for a passionate and highly collaborative Hands on Interaction Design Manager to join our CX Lab in Mountain View, CA. We are seeking designers who are entrepreneurial, critical thinkers, and innovators who are energized to re-imagine the way people interact with each other and their content in a digital world. As a hands on Manager within CX Lab you'll be in the unique position to have a direct impact on products that Samsung will ship millions of within the next 12 months. You will play a major role in designing TV functionality and features on mobile devices. You will also enjoy a broad range of work from televisions to connected appliances. You should be a passionate advocate for the user, dedicated to the craft of UX design, and excited about working in an agile, highly collaborative environment. You’ll work with passionate and highly talented team members, stakeholders who want big thinking, and you’ll have the opportunity to transform consumer digital experiences in a fast-moving environment.
Develop workflows, user task analysis, interaction flows, wireframes, low fidelity mock-ups, navigational flows, and high fidelity prototypes.
- Manage a team of super talented designers while also being Hands on.
- Transform strategic direction into high quality design output from total systems to individual elements.
- Develop high-level creative concepts for projects; help to refine and further develop these concepts into complete, functional design systems.
- Define user model and user interface for mobile devices and align them with other devices including televisions, audio devices, and appliances.
- Partner with Visual and Motion Designers to conceptualize, design, build, and extend user experiences.
- Work with UX researchers to design and observe user studies and translate research findings into insights and design improvements.
- Create and present design solutions and strategies that bring the user story to life for a wide audience, including cross-functional teams.
- Apply the best design aesthetics under tight deadlines, while effectively balancing between business needs and customer benefit.
- Contribute to the CX Lab design language and promote design thinking throughout the team. Develop and champion guidelines, standards, and user-centered design processes.
- Gauge the desirability of new and existing products, and make constructive suggestions for change.
- Maintain cultural awareness of the design landscape with respect to current and future trends.
Necessary Skills / Attributes
- 8+ years of demonstrable experience in designing usable software experiences in an agile, startup-like product development environment out of which at-least 3 years in handling a team.
- Strong portfolio that demonstrates systems thinking and core skills across a variety of categories and formats.
- Solid formal academic background in Human-Computer Interaction, Design, or related field, or commensurate work experience; advanced degree a plus.
- Fluency with common design software (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Keynote) for the creation of visual design artifacts and presentations.
- Agility in creating digital sketches/prototypes from lo-fi to hi-fi, to help design thinking process as well as communicate concepts to team members.
- Diverse project experience in concept ideation, UI concepting/wireframing, design strategy, and working across multiple form factors.
- Eloquent verbal/written communication and storytelling skills, with the ability to successfully articulate design concepts to your team and stakeholders.
- Ability to think strategically and translate brand, service and product requirements into holistic systems that effectively communicate.
- An understanding of iterative prototyping as an essential part of the design process.
- Strong skills in mediating and resolving competing requirements and designs.
- Solid design experience for consumer electronics devices. 10ft UI design experience is a plus, but not absolutely required.
- Openness to critique from various partners and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity.
- Effective time management skills to balance project schedule with fast-paced deadlines.
- A passion for creating designs which are simple, elegant and useful as well as beautiful, approachable and playful.
- A strong point of view with a healthy dose of humility.