Samsung’s Customer Experience Lab (CX Lab) at Samsung Research America is an inventive research and development studio that designs and implements user experience for high-profile, consumer electronics product lines, from core Samsung TV shipping products like Q Series, to the future of Business, Home & Lifestyles family of digital appliances and services. The products and services we design offer users benefits that are only made possible through tightly integrated technologies at a global scale worldwide.
As a Senior Visual Designer you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary team to conceive and support design work for innovative consumer products. Day to day tasks will include leading new visual design explorations, creating visual design mockups, creating mood boards, and working with interaction designers to understand requirements. You must be responsive, flexible, and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment.
As a Senior Visual Designer, you will work on exciting projects alongside the talented professionals within the global Samsung R&D product teams. You will gain valuable experience and engage with a cross-disciplinary team to contribute to the conceptualization, design, and specification of innovative consumer products.
- Experience in leading visual design development, shipping products, and developing strong visual design concept work.
- Expert knowledge of visual, typographic, grid system, and interaction design disciplines and principles.
- Skills in motion, illustration, and concept creation/visualization strongly desired.
- Sophisticated design, layout, and typographic skills.
- Excellent sense of color, scale, harmony, balance, and use of negative space.
- A demonstrated proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite graphics applications.
- Familiarity with user-centered design principles, methodologies, and user research.
- An online portfolio revealing thought process and an ability to rapidly generate creative ideas, with samples of original graphic or visual design work.
- Ability to create design mockups at high quality with fast turnaround, and ability to iterate quickly to visualize and evolve visual design solutions.
- Need to be receptive to constructive criticism, and be able to internalize and make design revisions based on feedback from design leaders and design colleagues.
- The ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously and multi-task in an agile environment.
- Ability to distill complex concepts and then quickly turn around rigorous flows and mockups reflecting a range of simple, elegant, and technically-feasible options.
- Work closely with other visual and interaction designers to create supporting UX designs.
- Create detailed print documentation and specifications of user experience concepts and visual design specifications using standard Adobe Creative Suite graphics applications.
- Work closely with Software and Hardware prototyping team to support prototyping activities with visual design mockups/assets, to capture and resolve bugs, including resolution of UX Design inconsistencies, incorrect or missing graphic resources, etc.
- Be prepared quickly to grow into increased responsibility and autonomy as you demonstrate skills and reliability.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience with handheld consumer electronics products a plus.
- Aptitude and cultural fit to inspire and collaborate within the multidisciplinary team (see Desired Characteristics for more detail).
CX Lab – Desired Characteristics:
The candidate should be a cultural fit within the organization. The following characteristics define a candidate that will succeed in our culture and for this position.
- Leadership / Vision: a pro-active, take charge leader with proven strategic vision; can manage, motivate, challenge, empower and delegate to others while leading by example; gains the trust of other parties quickly. Possesses the wisdom and confidence to take educated risks. Has ability to see both the bigger picture and interdependent parts but not be afraid of getting involved in the detail when necessary. Is sought out by others for strategic advice and counsel.
- Curiosity: Has a naturally curious mind, loves to explore and nurture intellect; knows how to observe and identify patterns that identify trends and key insights early; knows how to ask the right questions (relevant) and quantity of questions necessary to uncover key information that can be made actionable. Probably, an avid observer and follower of popular culture and societal trends.
- Creativity: An innovative and resourceful person who thinks and acts “outside-of-the-box.” This individual possesses a left brain/right brain mindset. Recreationally they are likely to most enjoy nurturing their creative passions and hobbies across multiple categories, such as film, games, music, art, design, fashion, comics, literature, and news. Endeavors that push / challenge their perceptions and physical limitations.
- Technology Forward: Has a passion for technology, tinkering under the hood, and enjoys being a sought-after authority and the resource that others turn to for emerging media and technology.
- Social Responsibility: Empathy and concern for team members, life work balance, Samsung corporate community / culture, and corporate global responsibility.
- Communication: Excellent oral and written communication skills; a great presenter, an active listener with consultative capabilities; skillful communicator in tough situations where striking a balance between being direct/forceful and diplomacy is necessary.
- Open Minded: Approach to listening and problem solving is inclusive and open minded.
- Action Oriented: Self-motivated and self-starting individual who can take limited direction and produce tangible results. Capacity for learning on one’s own, whether it’s software tools or languages.
- Service Orientation: Recognizes the importance of providing outstanding service and support to both internal teams, agency partner teams and externally to partners.
- Decision Making: Makes good decisions in a timely manner based on analysis, sound judgment and wisdom.
- Team Oriented: Works well in collaborative team environments and matrix reporting Structures.
- Willingness and Passion for Travel: Candidate may travel regularly for project and inter-organizational meetings. Frequent travel within Korea and to/from the U.S. and other regions may be necessary, depending on project needs.
Required Experience or Education:
- Based on experience, background and candidate fit / desired characteristics.
- Bachelors or Masters in Graphic Design, Visual Design, User Interface Design, Architecture Design, Video Game Design or an equivalent design degree